In Panoply, we believe in an ELT philosophy, and we encourage our users to use a post-load transformation method instead of the classic pre-load transformation in ETL processes. One of the ways to achieve that is by using views.
In Panoply, you can create or save views using the Workbench tool. Here's how:
- Click Workbench, and then enter your SQL query in the SQL editor.
- Run the query to make sure that it's a valid one and actually returns the data that you're expecting. Note that Panoply's Workbench will limit the returned results to 100 rows - this limit will not affect the view that you will save.
- Once the results are shown, click Save As.
- Enter the desired view name and in which schema you want to use it (the schema must exist before saving the view - read here how to create a schema). Then, click Save to create your view.
- Your saved view is then listed in the Views section of the schema you've specified.
Once you saved a view, it will be accessible from any external connection you have to your Panoply account as well as directly from the Panoply platform.