Once you have saved a view, you can change its definition in case the business question you have has changed as well. You change it using Panoply's Workbench tool or by using external workbenches.
To change a view's definition using Panoply's Workbench, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Workbench page. Then, once inside, click Open.
- Choose the view whose definition you need to modify, and then click Open.
- Change the view's definition in the SQL editor. Make sure you test your modified query before saving. Then, click Save to persist your changes.
- Finally, click Save in the dialog box to confirm the action.
Once the view is saved with the new definition, it will automatically take effect in every tool you use to query it.
Please keep the following in mind when changing a view's definition. You cannot change:
- The names of columns in the result set.
- The types of columns in the result set.
- The number of columns in the result set.
- The order of columns in the result set.
If you do need to change any of the ones above, you will need to save the query as a new view. In case you want to keep the same view name, you must first delete the existing view, and then save the one with the new definition using that view name.